Tuesday 18 May 2010

A Quick Visit - One hour and ten minutes for three Brown Trout

I ventured up as it was the first warm day for weeks and thought I'd see if there was anything going on at last knockings. As I set up at 8pm a few anglers were on the tarn including Austin Robbie who'd already had four on a hotspot spider. Fish were starting to browse the rippled surface showing their dorsal and tail fins and swirling at the surface.


Small white winged insects were hatching off the water which I initially took to be Caenis. When one landed on me I took a closer look to see it seemed like an 'olive' bodied midge and I guessed a size 16 olive shipmans buzzer would do the trick. I was pleased to take a fish on second chuck. After taking a second, Austin changed to the same Olive Shipmans and took two more himself.


 

 

 After I'd caught a third the hatch seemed to finish and I went home happy!
 
Greg (UAA Webmaster)

Don't forget the Ulverston Angling Open Day on Knottallow Tarn
                                 SUNDAY 13th JUNE
                    Follow this link to the UAA Events on our web site for more details